Eddie has over 15 years’ experience in business recovery, insolvency and turnaround management. Originally commencing at a top 4 firm in the UK, Eddie has a unique background having been exposed to a broad range of industry sectors with top tier firms and smaller boutique insolvency practices both in the UK & Australia.
In 2011, Eddie relocated from the UK to Australia with his family. Whilst a key player in multiple high profile external administrations, Eddie’s real passion is to work with owners, advisors and stakeholders of SMEs to enable the successful continuation of business wherever possible.
As a pioneer in the field of business turnaround, fortification and renewal, Eddie was the first professional in South Australia to:
- receive the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) prestigious Certified Turnaround Analyst (CTA) award in 2017.
- obtain the Advanced Restructuring & Turnaround Certification through the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA) - (achieving ARITA's Advanced Dual Certification, awarded Highest Mark Certificate for the Advanced Restructuring & Turnaround Certification 2016 debut).
- achieve Chartered Manager in 2016 with the Chartered Management Institute and in conjunction with the Australian Institute of Management (now the Institute of Leaders and Managers).
• Strategic Planning & Operations Management (in times of crisis)
• Organisational & Financial Restructuring & Turnaround
• Informal Workouts (negotiations) and Safe Harbour Business Advisory for Directors
• Contemporary Credit Management & Recovery Solutions
• Technological Transformation and Business Fortification
• Building Strategic Alliances & Partnerships, Managing Stakeholders’ Interests
Following an objective and independent review of the business, I immediately relieve the pressure placed on both directors and management by formulating market leading strategies.
With a successful track record in operational restructuring and turnaround, I take great pride in confidently tackling the multiple and complex issues that companies face in times of crisis and uncertainty.
Professional Attainment and Memberships
• Member & Certified Turnaround Analyst of the Turnaround Management Association. CTA.
• Graduate Member of The Australian Institute of Company Directors. GAICD.
• Master of Business Administration, Fellow & Chartered Manager of the Institute of Managers & Leaders (formerly AIM). MBA, CMgr, FIML.
• Certified Fraud Examiner of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). CFE.
• Member of the Australian Institute of Credit Management (AICM). MICM.
• Member of the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). MIPA AFA.
• ARITA Advanced Dual Certification with the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association - ARITA:
• Advanced Certificate in Restructuring & Turnaround (highest mark award, 2016)
• Advanced Certificate in Insolvency (Insolvency Education Program, IPAA 2012)
• Joint Insolvency Exams & Certificate of Proficiency in Insolvency (England & Wales). IPA (UK).
Appointments & Industry Exposure
♦ Interim Manager of Agribusiness and separate Aquabusiness
♦ Resident director for international brand and Australian start-up, including building strategic partnerships and forging innovative B2C channels
♦ Managing operations for trading voluntary administrations, exploring options for maximising creditor returns (DOCAs and facilitating sale of business and assets)
♦ Consultant to multiple catholic & independent schools and interim manager for organisation-wide restructure
♦ Interim Manager for retailer with multiple stores (review loss prevention strategies and reduce shrinkage)
♦ Confidential governance advisory and independent risk exposure reviews for directors/boards
♦ Contemporary credit management consultancy services and interim management
♦ Transport and logistics - orderly closure of depots and managing interests for major bank
♦ Investigations where dissipating assets in debtor company. Asset recovery, negotiations, diffusing hostile disputes and opening communication channels
♦ Investigating fraudulent activity and liaising with government departments
♦ Key player in receivers & managers appointment of national renewable energy retailer where 100% return to major appointing bank
♦ Orderly wind down of multi store jewellery retailer & fraud investigation
♦ Crisis management and liaising with stakeholders on behalf of financial planning business
♦ Financial due diligence on acquisitions for corporate clients
♦ Managing interests of private equity firms and reviewing start-ups for venture capitalists
♦ Business reviews for manufacturers and strategic operations management
♦ Independent reviews and business fortification for various cafes and restaurants
♦ Various crisis management engagements, short time frame negotiations and interim management assignments.
Steve Conolly - Partner of SeaLevel Turnaround (VIC) | Turnaround Practitioner
Steve is a turnaround specialist with 15 years’ experience helping directors and companies secure their businesses in times of financial and operational distress. He leads business recoveries to safeguard stakeholders’ interests and preserve enterprise value.
Steve has led recoveries and turnarounds for medium and large businesses, locally and internationally. He helps directors instill creditor and shareholder confidence whilst managing legal, financial and other specialist advisors that may be required for specific tasks.
Steve focuses on governance, financial controls and operational efficiency as this is part of the process to stabilise and set a company on a trajectory for ongoing sustainability and growth.
A turnaround is more than financial restructuring, it’s about making sure a company has every chance to stay in business for the long haul. Stakeholder interests are maximised by a turnaround. Directors, creditors, shareholders, employees, customers and suppliers all have a stake in ensuring their interests are protected.
Steve helps directors manage their relationships with creditors and suppliers to gain their support during a restructuring and turnaround process. He helps directors with transitional leadership, financial and operational crisis situations to create stability so that the company can continue to trade as a going concern.
A turnaround can produce a better outcome for all, than immediately entering into formal administration or liquidation. Steve is a Safe Harbour specialist; harnessing the legislative reforms for the purposes for which they were intended - innovation, business sustainability and economic growth.
In previous turnaround roles Steve held the positions of ANZ CEO, MD of a well known brand & global enterprise and has also served as a key member of a Federal Government Advisory.
- Member and Certified Turnaround Analyst with the Turnaround Management Association. CTA.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. GAICD.
- Fellow of the Governance Institute of Australia. FGIA.
- Master of Business Administration (Technology) from UNSW AGSM. MBA.
- Associate Member, Institution of Engineers Australia. AMIEAust.
My greatest rewards are experiencing the positive impact to people's lives when they overcome a business crisis and we help them on their way. These relationships always stand the test of time.
Take action & make contact
If you are in need of advice regarding your business, please contact us ASAP for a free confidential consultation.